Comeback of the Century: Super Bowl LI Recap
Everyone who thought that the playoffs were boring, this Super Bowl certainly gave those sports fans a game to watch. Many are considering that this is the best Super Bowl in the history of the NFL. The game started slowly, then the Falcons gained a large lead, then the Patriots came back from behind to tie the game at 28-28 and then the Patriots scored on the first drive in overtime. Now, why did the Patriots win and the Falcons lose…
Why the Patriots Won…
- Defense. In the first half, the defense was not effective, but in the second half, they contained a high-flying offense. They had 5 sacks and only allowed the Falcons to convert one of twelve 3rd downs. The Patriots defense may not have been the flashiest defense, but they get the job done.
- James White. The 3rd year running back has been playing mostly behind LaGarrette Blount and Dion Lewis. White had an extraordinary game, and it just shows that the Patriots can truly win with anyone. White had two rushing touchdowns, plus 110 receiving yards and a touchdown reception. He scored all, but one touchdown for the Patriots.
- Tom Brady. Possibly Brady’s best Super Bowl, he threw for 466 yards (setting a record), threw two touchdowns and ran for 15 yards (I am telling you, Brady’s got wheels). Brady also completed almost 70% of his passes. Brady had a tough first half, no doubt about it. However, what truly signifies an all-time great is a determination and drive, even when you are down 25 points.
Why the Falcons lost…
- Second half Defense. In the first half, the Falcons looked like the best defense ever, holding Brady to only 3 points. Then the second half happened. They did not turn over the ball, and could not get as much pressure on Brady. In the first half, they were touching Brady all day. However, the second half they could not bring him down.
- Penalties. Many drives by the Patriots would have been lost if the Falcons would have stopped getting penalized. The Falcons had 9 penalties, a lot came in the second half. A team cannot give Brady extra yards, no matter the circumstance. Penalties killed the Falcons.
- Time of Possession. The Patriots had the ball for 40 minutes! 40 MINUTES! That is way too long for any team, but especially the Patriots, to have control over the ball. The Falcons, on the other hand, had the ball for only 23 minutes. The reason for the Falcons lack of ball time is because they did not run the ball hardly at all. In the first half, Coleman and Freeman dominated, in the second half, they disappeared. This just proves how vital it is to run the ball.
The question that many will ask in the days to come, is whether Tom Brady is the greatest of all time. Brady haters always bring up that he does not have the stats like Manning, or that Montana’s has an amazing Super Bowl record. Whatever the answer is, Tom Brady has just got a peg higher on the greatest of all time list.
Well, there you have it, fellow Sports Reaction’ists, and remember, be the best sports fan you can be.
What do you think? Comment below your thoughts, and if you like Sports Reaction, click the follow button.