The Warriors in Trouble? Reactions to 2017 NBA Free Agency Signings
I have not written anything on the NBA free agency, so I might as well do it now. The NBA offseason has been a whirlwind, and it is hard to keep track of what is happening. I personally love the offseason, and free agency in sports, so I really enjoy it. However, if you have not been keeping up with it, or just have not had the time to really analyze all of the signings, well look no further. I have 5 of the biggest free agency moves so far, and my reactions vary from love to hate, to wanting to hug someone, to wanting to punch someone. Here are 5 NBA signings so far.
Stephen Curry Re-signs with the Warriors
Everyone by now knows that Curry got a $200 million plus contract over 5 years, meaning that he is not only just rich, but the highest paid person to play basketball, ever. We all knew that Curry was going to re-sign with the Warriors, and that they just would not let their best player walk out the door. This is mostly good for the Warriors, I mean, they have Curry for the next 5 years, so everything has to be honky-dory, right? Well, mostly. The Warriors did just sign STEPHEN CURRY to a big contract, but the Warriors did just sign Stephen Curry to a BIG CONTRACT. Meaning, the Warriors have commited to spending $40 million out of a $99 million salary cap. So pretty much, the Warriors spent 40% of their entire salary cap on a single player, meaning that the other 16 players have to split 60% of the money that is left. Adding up to about 3.75% of the salary cap per player, or around $3.7 million average for the rest of the team. However, I will not weep for the bottom 16 players, because I would take $3.7 million any time.
Kevin Durant Takes Pay Cut in Re-signing with the Warriors
Kevin Durant is kind of a victim of the above reaction. Curry gets the big bucks, KD has to slim his contract down a little. Although, KD did not have to do anything, but this just proves that he is a team player…Unless that team is OKC, and they cannot win a championship, then he will ditch them. However, this is something nice that KD did for the sake of the team, so three cheers for him.
Gordon Hayward Signs with the Boston Celtic
The Hayward signing has had some pros and cons to it. The pros are that now the Celtics have some more firepower, which will help Isaiah Thomas. The Celtics will be a lot better, and are now one of the top teams in the league. Now you might be typing, “What could be wrong with that? The Celtics are now a top-tier team.” This is true, and from Boston’s point of view, this is an excellent choice. However, this is going to hurt Hayward just a bit. Hayward was drafted in 2010 by the Jazz, and has steadily increased his PPG in each of his seasons with the Jazz, ending last season with a trip to the All-Star Game, playing 11 games in the Playoffs, and having his best points per game to date. Now that he is suddenly on the top, Hayward leaving the Jazz looks like a “Durant Move” (no disrespect, of course). Many Jazz fans are now angry at Hayward for leaving the Jazz after his best season. Again, there are always pros, and cons to signing with another team.
Kyle Lowry Signs with the Toronto Raptors
Lowry signed a 3 year, $100 million contract. Lowry averaged 22.4 points per game last season, which definitely is good. However, this move does not accelerate the Raptors to another level. The Raptors will stay good, but they will not be able to compete with the Warriors, Cavaliers and such with all of their super talent. This was a safe move, but almost too safe. The NBA has turned into a league where you need around three superstars to be a contender, and Lowry just won’t take the Raptors to the next level.
Paul George Traded to the Thunder
This was great for the Thunder. Like I said above, you cannot compete in the NBA, unless you have multiple talented players. Last season, we saw how far Russell Westbrook could take this team by himself, but now Westbrook has someone else who actually is pretty good. Paul George will be a favorite target of Westbrook, and will help Westbrook by taking off some of the defense off of him. Both of these guys can score, and defenses will have to guard both, which will not be easy. I do not think the Thunder will make it to the Finals with just these two, but the Thunder are knocking on the door of being one of the best in the league.
Well, there are my reactions to some of the NBA’s biggest signings, fellow Sports Reactionists, and remember, be the best sports fan you can possibly be.
What do you think? Comment below your reactions, and thoughts about some of these free agency signings, and if you want to join the Sports Reaction Nation, click the follow button and become a Sports Reactionist.